My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Sunday 26 May 2013

Almost the end of May !

May made up for the crappy weather in March and April. It did rain on Friday and Saturday, but that was ok - we needed it!. 

May is a month of change for me. My son was born on the 4th. That was a big change. I ran the Vancouver Marathon and herniated a disc in my back. I quit smoking 9 years ago on the 17th and my marriage ended in May. Last year, I hit the deer going home of the Monday night of the long weekend. It is just one of those months.

Well the weather was good, so I got in a lot of riding. The car goes parked for days on end. I was on call for the long weekend, a subliminal way to avoid deer? It was actually a busy weekend, a call everyday - well during the 24 hour period. Three of the calls came at 2:00 am. I was on the last call, which was the worst one. A Dodge pickup travelling really fast, over 170kph on the highway hit a PT Cruiser from behind, it was going about 120kph - the speed limit is 110kph. The impact drove the rear of the car down. About a hundred meters later the windows all broke. The pickup crossed the median first and drove over the West bound lane, then some railroad tracks and then implanted itself in  the ground. The car continued going East, then it drove across the median and came to a stop on the shoulder of the Westbound lane. 

They were lucky there were no cars coming the other way. When the call came in it was reported as two separate Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVA). That is because the truck was 1 kilometre from the car. 

There were 5 persons involved and some alcohol. 4 people survived the MVA. The 5th person was in the back of the PT Cruiser and he was airlifted to a hospital in Edmonton. He later died. 

The accident scene was huge and the road was closed off. There was a lot of talk from people at work who were inconvenienced the next day. They wanted to know what happened - all the who, what, when, where, why & hows. One person thought it was rude she wasn't personally informed about it. They have learned not to ask me, I am not a rubbernecker and the Fire Department has a privacy policy (the accident description which I provided is available in the media. I think the scope of the MVA is kind of glossed over. 

Well I have been hanging out with Nick, Ryan and Robert (Thelma). They all wanted to do something on the long weekend, Vegreville did not figure into it - lol. 

This weekend they are all busy. I took Friday afternoon off and went into Edmonton. I went to see Fast & Furious 6. It was a good movie. Normally when there are 6 instalments they get lame, this is not the case with #6. The cars and the action are great. The plane scene goes on a bit long though, what runway in the World is THAT long. 

Saturday I stayed in, it was pouring. Today I had an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Safety Course which started at 09:00 am. I decided to rest up for it. I like motorbiking, on roads. The Fire Department got a new ATV for fighting bush fires and in order to drive it you had to have a certificate. 

Bikes and ATV have somethings in common, but they don't ride the same way. It was an intensive course, classroom was an hour and 6 hours of riding. I will be a sore puppy tomorrow. We covered everything, it will probably be a long time before I get to ride/drive one again. But it was fun. 

The course ended early and we were waiting around for lunch, one of the guys arranged it. Well he said he did. We were sitting around for an hour waiting for food, the Arranger had bailed. Finally we got a text that the person who was bring the food had to work 4 more hours, could someone go get food. 

That person texted back that the order was never placed. We bailed. The Sun was out and I took off to Edmonton. 

Next weekend I am off to Calgary, which should be fun. 

Well the Sun is still up, back out riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment