My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 1 September 2012

Calgary

Labour Day weekend and I am away finally for a vacation. I am headed to Nelson BC and then into the US.
I have no real plan, the trip to Nelson is for the roads, winding. Better than sex as far as I am concerned. It was wild a couple of years ago in the car, I imagined what it would be on a bike.

I left home after the cable guy came, the only time open to check into my internet problem was Friday afternoon, before a long weekend. If not then, maybe the 15th of September. As it was, he said yup, there's a problem. He can fix it next Tuesday.....he knew that from outside the house. I did not need to be there. Oh well, he was kind of easy in the eyes.

I was all packed and ready to go, after he was out the door I loaded up the bike, got my chaps on and vrooom.

I didn't speed on the way to Edmonton, well not really. 120 is ok on the hyw, it is 10 over the posted limit of 110. I got really good gas milage when I fueled up at Leduc. I decided I would do around that speed for the whole trip.

Best laid plans.....

First off Leduc I decided to turn right into a shopping centre with a Shell station to get gas. Instead of my normal left. I have had issues in the car trying to get back on the highway, when I go left. I got the gas, was impressed. Then I tried to get out of the godforsaken shopping centre. It appeared all the cars were leaving at once - it took me 25 minutes to go .2 km and then I had to use the speed/size of bike to make it that fast.

Out on the highway, going 120. That lasted about 25 kms. I was riding along in the right lane, minding my own business. A couple of cars passed then a pickup with Saskatchewan plates, he was going about 135. When he was about 100 meters in front of me, he threw a pop can out the driver's window. It went up in the air, and then proceeded to plop to the ground right in front of my bike. I avoided it, just. The guy figured out what he did and then tried to boogie. Really, a dodge pickup with a V8 vs a bike with a 1400cc motor. He was going 160, i just wanted to get his plate number, he didn't want that. I got it, and pulled off at Millet and texted the cops. At least they could give him a ticket for littering.

Well the traffic built up when I pulled back on the highway. So I passed a lot of them. My pet peeve is people that drive in the Left Lane when they aren't passing anyone and especially when they are going slower than the speed limit.

A Toyota Corolla was one of them. He was driving along and he saw me coming up, he didn't pull over to let me pass him, he decided to show me what his car could do. It should be an even race, his car has a 2 litre engine, maybe, it is relatively light. My bike weighs in at 450 lbs and has a 1400cc motor. I waved him on, like 'c'mon c'mon' when I blew past him. I think his wife, who was on the larger size slowed him down.

Red Deer was ok, I was afrid of seeing the pickup truck driver. I had coffee at Starbucks and took a pic of me on the bike as reflected in the door's glass.

Red Deer to Calgary was non-eventfull. a sport bike rode with me all the way. We managed to have space all around us.

I am staying at Elisabeth's place in North Calgary. I got there about 8:30, not bad for leaving at 4:00.

Last night I went to the Eagle, a bar which is closing this weekend. I intended to only stay in Calgary Friday and maybe Saturday and then head out. I am bribing Elisabeth with yard work and supper. I may stay till Sunday.

It is Pride Weekend in Calgary and I may as well hang out.

So I goes to go to the eagle last night on my bike, I take out my glasses, which i use at night. One lens is missing, I look around, can't find it. I rode to bar and back with one lens, couldn't wear sunglasses, it was too dark. You need eye protection on a bike, bugs and sand don't care.

Luckily it was quiet and cool on the way home, so no bugs or sand. I was listening to Miles Davis 'All Blues' from Kind of Blue on the way home. Wow that was a zen moment.

Today I helped in the yard, washed my leathers. There is a leather party tonight at the Eagle. It was funny, last night there was a guy there in a motorcycle jacket and gloves, I think he even had the boots on. Anyway, they were perfect, it looked like the boots had never shifted a gear and the jacket had never encountered a wasp at 120. I guess that would be leather drag. My coat and chaps will be cleaned, but they will look used. I was looking for some stuff to make them pretty. My boots though, scuffed on the toe from shifting.

I got goggles at a bike store in downtown Calgary. I should be ok to ride at night now.

I am parked on 17AVE SW in fron tof Melrose Place bar. The City of Calgary has surveillance vans that drive around taking pictures of lic. plates to see if people pay their parking. I guess when you pay at one of the machines it is entered on a computer and the vans send their info to the same computer. Anyway, you get a ticket. Except if you have a bike. Bikes back into a stall, and the plate is facing the sidewalk. The van can't see it. In front of Melrose bikes are parked there all the time.

Anyway, thats the update for today. There is apparently a pool party someplace, I did bring shorts. I am off in search of the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment