My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Wednesday 15 August 2012

I am still around

Well it has been awhile since I have had the time to write. There is a lot of stuff though.

Last thursday I was a volunteer at A gourmet Affair. I was just in charge of getting the dirty plates from hall to the kitchen, where they could be scrapped and washed. The pay, was free food. There was a lot of it and I ate a lot of it!

I had about 5 or 6 turkey open faced appetizers, they were hot, had mozza and green peppers on them. They were really good. I had at least 4 Creme Brules for dessert.

Before the people showed up we were making parfaits, with mushed raspberry, fresh whipped cream and mint. I got the job of making the whipped cream, I'd never done it before, it was fun. I used a big machine instead of working on my arm muscles.

After the people were gone, it took a long time to clean up. I was stuffed and and beat. Went straight to bed when I got home.

Earlier in the day the Fire Department was in the parade. I was in the last truck, Tanker 1. My co-pilot was she who cannot stop talking. It was ok though, I told here I had to watch for kids and....here and her boyfriend were having issues. This is a regular thing and they have to be in constant contact when it is occurring. This means she was occupied texting and phoning him.

There was a good turn out for the parade. When you are a kid you dream of being in one, here i was driving a Fire Truck with lights flashing. no sirens though, the horses don't like it.

Before the parade, a guy pulled up behind me with a pickup and a trailer. On the trailer were about 8 old ladies and they were listening to Lawrence Welk music, it was blasting. It was terrible. He came at me to ask if he could be in front of the FD. I told him that wasn't my call. It was at least the Chief's. He wanted me to go discuss it with him. I pointed out who the Chief was to him. He didn't go. Eventually, while we were waiting to form up, the chief came our way. He was handing out stuff and the ladies in the trailer swallowed them up. The guy managed to speak to Chief.

First he asked him for some fuel, it appears he showed up at the event 'Running on Empty' (I don't think Larry Welk plays that song). We gave him some gas from our generator supply. He then asked the chief to movie in front of us.

The Chief let him, now he and the old ladies were behind the horses. I suggest next year he wake the ladies up earlier, so they can get their faces on; he go to gas station, and maybe they could contact the Parade Marshall to get a better position.

After the parade a call came in, which was kind of good, as we were already loaded up in trucks. I am not making this up....

The woman was at her store and called as she thought it was on fire. There was a big storm on Wednesday night and I guess she left something open or the roof leaked. So she put some fans on clothes to dry them. She put the fans in the wet spot and plugged them in.

After a couple of hours the fans shorted, then according to lady, there was a big flash, and a fire smoke. Then they stopped working. A working fire, our heart rates went up!

We asked for her exact location, she hung up! It gets better (imagine Dennis Leary saying this). She calls back, dispatch gets her. They have the pen ready, we are ready to go...fight a fire!

The lady tells us the address. Then dispatch asks if everyone is out of the building? She says she is in the building with her grand daughter and three customers. A Captain asks if the building is burning. She says, no the big fire smoke was ten minutes ago. Captain asks if building is full of smoke. Lady says no.

Our adrenaline abates and we slowly go back to station. The lady asks if we are coming. The Captain takes command and goes to check out the scene. I go back to regular job.

I was OnCall all weekend, it was slow and boring. I asked some brother fire fighters to cover for me while i went for a half hour ride. No takers.

How about that Paul Ryan.....ROTFL

this week I am on a course and it was long days at work. New system. Monday night though, the Chief had us do a triathlon in the crew competitions.

We walked instead of swim, i walked. I moved through all the positions and wound up walking. I brought motorbike's little brother (no motor). Race walking is not as easy as it would appear. I almost caught the guy who was in front of me. I passed off to bike, the bike passed the other guy's hand off guy (make any sense?).

Oh Saturday night I did go to the fair, the fireworks were at the grounds. I paced myself on beers, had to be legal to drive. Went to a firefighters house for awhile and then to the beer gardens.

I wound up sitting with some friends, they are common law and have three kids. They had a sitter and were out getting blasted. They had a nephew up from Bashaw, which is in red neck country (see the May posts). He was like 18 and 100% cowboy. I got some gaydar pings. Wranglers, cowboy hat, boots and he was riding all day. It would have been fun. But he got loaded. He had killer eyes and it was like phasers on stun. Anyway, it was just a thing. Laura must have been wondering, and she knows. But she wasn't doing anything to stop it. Cool.

At wings tonight, Boston Pizza :( - I miss the nights at the locally owned place, but Roman closed it.

No OnCall this weekend. Going for a group ride eon Friday Night, then Fireman's Golf on Saturday......a big drunk. Later

We wound up in the same position we started in. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment