My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Last Days of Summer

I am in the city at Starbucks, came to town last night. I have an appointment today and it was too nice last night to stay in town.

Nothing major with the trip in, I went to Bike Night in Fort Saskatchewan, but it was lame. There is a segment of riders who love their bikes a lot, they love polishing them, adding things on etc. The one thing they don't appear to like to do, is ride the damned thing. It migrates from the garage to a Tim Hortons, and then back to garage. I am not one of those guys. They were out in force last night.

I left there had a nice ride into the city, went to Groat Road for some twisting action. I am loving the new front tire, it is more responsive than the factory tire. You can lean over further on twisting roads and the bike feel solid. I will get one for the back too - Michelin Commander II, in case you are wondering.

On Saturday I wanted to head to the city, but it was grey and looked like it was going to pour. I was at home watching Bill Maher about 1 o'clock and a fire fighter texted me. He wanted to know if I was going to help out at the kids park. There is a water park there and the Lion's Club bought a boat, for the kids to play on. The boat needed to be built.

The FD was asked to have people spend about an hour there, or so. I was there for seven. Until 16:00 Marshall and I were the only two there; and we have no kids. The ones with kids never showed.

It was a good time, the boat went together pretty easily. The guy that owns the company that sells them helped direct us in putting it together. He was not hard on the eyes and he figured out which team I played for. Which appeared to be ok with him. It was good to flirt, nothing came of it. But it made doing the job easier.

I left after we got the boat to a place where it could be finished on Sunday. It wasn't safe for kids as there were big holes around the posts - i dripped a lot of bolts down them. We had a magnetic device with teeth to rescue them.

That night, I went to Boston Pizza for supper. When I got there, my friend Laura was there with a friend of hers. Marcia also happens to work at the same place I do. We hung out at Boston pizza for awhile and then went to the Alberta (bar out front door). I didn't want to ride drunk.

The Alberta was dead. But we were there to talk anyway. Laura and her common law spouse are having issues and he was jealous she was there, so she left after about 40 minutes.

Marcia and I were sitting there talking, she had to use the washroom, she did. I got us more beer. When she came back, she was all embarrassed. She had never been to the bar before and had gone into the men's room. The stalls are all before the urinals, an innocent mistake.

There was a guy using the bathroom though. I guess he came out at the same time she did, or they they washed hands together....and way she was red.

Now the fun starts: The guy was sitting at a table about 20 feet from us. He was watching pool, he changed sides and sat down, facing us. He was probably pissed, which explains why we was leering, or drooling. He was creeping Marcia out. She is in a common law relationship and has two kids, she rarely goes out. Her spouse was visiting his family in Saskatchewan with the kids. So she went out.

A girl showed up in a dress, which was kind of neat looking. Anyway, she was at the bank machine, I smiled at her. Marcia and I were speaking and the bar was still really dead. The girl came with two coolers and plopped them on the table. She gave one to Marcia and then proceeded to join us. Her name was Robin. I guess she worked at a store where Marcia had bought something. Marcia told her that the service was good. That was the only interaction they had before.

Marcia wanted to dance, which happened to be what Robin wanted to do. A dance song came on and they went and danced. The guy that was sitting by himself, well he decided he wanted to dance too. So he took his jacket off and made his way to the dance floor, He did the shuffle over to the middle of them. Marcia was mouthing 'Don't Leave!!!' I got up to use washroom, she had a look of panic on her face.

After the dance the girls cm back to the table, he went back to his. He was still looking/leering.

Robin then became very weird, especially since this is a bar in a small redneck town. She was really touchy feely with Marcia and then it became obvious that she was trying to pick her up. It was not a full moon.

Drunk guy is still staring at us. A guy that looked like he might be on the team sat down with him, but the guy ignored him. I was wondering if he was staring at me, but discounted that when he danced, he did not look my way at all.

Robin was getting more touchy and Marcia decided she had had enough. She was going to walk home, but due to circumstances, she was going to take a cab. I said I would walk with her.

As we were leaving, creepy guy goes outside for a smoke. Robin didn't appear to need a smoke yet. Marcia lived about a mile from the bar. It was a nice walk, the weather was way better than it was all day.

Sunday morning I was up at 08:00 - while all the excitement was going on with the girls I had lined up a date, in Red Deer. With a guy from Calgary. We were going to meet there.

After having a shower and a cup of coffee I headed out on the bike. I was supposed to get to Red Deer by 11. I was doing good for time on the way to Edmonton. But when I was on the bypass route around the city things got interesting. I was pushing the speed limit. I was following a Jeep, this guy was going about 14 in a 100. I wasn't going that fast, but I kept him in my sights, I figured if there was a cop, they'd take him.

Well they did. But there wasn't just one cop. There were about 7. I had checked the overpasses for sniper radar, didn't see any. They had cars on both sides of the road to slow traffic down. A cop ran out into traffic and pointed him over. I had to watch out as a cruiser had lane shared his way up behind the Jeep.

I got gas, texted I would be late. I was going not so fast down Highway 2 to Red Deer. Two more cops had cars pulled over.

I got to Red Deer at 11:30, but then got lost finding the place we were to meet at. I got there at noon. It is a good thing he was patient.

We had a good lunch, talked a lot. It was even conversation with no one doing all the talking. We were definitely in each others type zone. Went for a walk later. Then he had to get back to Calgary and I was headed back North.

I was on Highway 2 about 15:00 headed North and the traffic was nuts around Lacombe. There were also lots of cops, so the cagers were slowing down to below the speed limit every time they saw one. I decided to head West to Pigeon Lake. It is a resort lake in Central Alberta.

I though there would be gas at one of the many small towns around the lake, no such luck. I did get gas in Thorsby, which is about 20 miles from the lake. So I didn't get to hang out by the lake. I went to the biker bar near Warburg, had a beer. The Harley guys were there, they have a hard time talking to people who ride metrics; they can't understand why.

I took the long way home, it was a great day for a ride and a date too.

I am headed off on a trip this weekend, I will be staying in Calgary for either a day or three. No definite plans for timing on trip. I am headed to Nelson, BC and then Spokane, Washington. I have 10 days to do the trip. Great winding roads by Nelson, I know, I was there in the car.

The shadow pic was taken on Highway 16 - it would have looked a lot cooler if I had a helmet cam. The Sun was directly behind me and there was symmetry with my shape, it got all crewed up when I took the picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment