My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Friday 25 January 2013

25th

25 days into 2013 already!. Time really flies when you're having fun. Birthday on Monday.

I went to Kinsmen twice, got voted in last night. Something to do on Thursday nights! 'Last Resort;' was cancelled by ABC. I had a cold for most of the week, so no poker last night.

Bike update: Monday I called the insurance company, had to bounce around through their system again. Spoke to the adjuster, told her about the towing company. She said she'd do something. I heard nothing till Wednesday night, then I got a call from a tow guy. It was towed Thursday morning. I got a call from the bike shop, they got it.

Had a case this week, can't go into too many details, but the husband appears to have lied about being available to marry. I guess he forgot about a marriage....or two. I think he would need to get some protection for when she finds out. I am not sure, but I don't think women like to be lied to on that front.

All in a day's work:

Me: I will need to see a copy of your lease.
Her: Ok, well actually I don't have a lease (she lives in a million dollar penthouse). I live with my sister.
Me: Is your sister living with you?
Her: Yes
Me: What's her name?
Her: Lisa
Me: Is her last name the same as yours?
Her: I don't know her last name.
Me: How could you not know her last name?
Her: Well actually it's my aunties's daughter.
Me: What's your aunties name?
Her: I don't know.

I am reading a romance novel, I am reading a lot of those. Kindle makes it so easy and let's face it, with bike in the shop, I have a lot of free time. Oh and Winter too.

So the latest one takes place in Tunisia. After messing around in Tunis for awhile they take a road trip. They head South into the Sahara. So I am reading this, I knew that Star Wars was filmed there, but I never thought they'd tie it into this book. They have to travel to where the Taureg live.

Taureg: two definitions. a) It is a Volkswagen SUV and b) it is a tribe of nomads in the Sahara in Tunisia, Libya, Algeria and Mali.

The Taureg may have been involved with the kidnapping of a Canadian Ambassador in Niger a couple of years ago. One for which a big ransom was paid. This may be related to the rise to prominence of Al Qaida in the Magreb (AQIM). Those are the allegations anyway. This group may also be involved in the hostage incident at the Algerian oil facility.

Back to the book! The main characters have to get bank account information to the Taureg to finance them. The account has a million in it.

The writer of the book must have been in the region as a traveller. He mentions Ksar Ouled Sultane which is a 500 year old structure which has withstood lots of sandstorms. This place is close to Tataouine......which if you are a Star Wars follower with know was a planet where a lot of the action occurred. The Taureg wear cloaks like the ones worn by Obi Won Kenobi - George Lucas said he borrowed the look.

So we have a book with two gay characters, one of whom is an ex-SEAL running around in an area where I am trying to learn about, for my job. Two birds - one stone.

I think my world is calming down enough for me to start writing again, which I need to do.

Birthday weekend, not much planned, working overtime on Sunday. Need to get some more - have to get some saddle bag rails and a sissy bar installed on bike. May as well, it is in the shop.








No comments:

Post a Comment