My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Thursday 25 July 2013

Just a quick story

I

Well something happened tonight on the way back from the city. It has been over a year since the last thing happened (the deer). This one wasn't as tragic, but it was tense. 

I was riding back after being at The Druid, I didn't feel like staying in the city tonight and I had to get out of the bar, $3 beers would just lead to trouble. 

The ride out of the city was non-eventful. It was around 21:00 so the further East I got the darker it was getting. At 'Deer Corner' I slowed down just in case the bambis were out frolicking, nothing. 

The road was pretty busy with trucks, I passed a lot of them. There was a bit of a head wind, it wasn't too bad. I got past Mundare corner and had to be in the left lane, as there was a semi parked on the shoulder. About 400 yards East of the corner there is a joint in the highway. It used to be significant, I remember driving in the car pool and hating it. The car would jolt as you went over it, disturbing a car pool nap. 

The bike went over it, just like any other time. I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye and looked at my handlebars, where the iPhone was was ....well this. 


On the top picture, taken Sunday, you can see the iPhone in its mount on the handlebar (left side to the right of mirror). 

The Lifeproof mount disintegrated and the phone went flying, it didn't come straight back, or it would have hit me. I went up to the next place I could turn around and then headed back to the joint in the road. 

I was lucky, I had my iPad with me, on it is the 'Find your iPhone' app. I located the phone and it was still online. I took off helmet so I could here the dings, when I played a sound. I heard nothing - but there was a lot of traffic, going East and West. 

I walked up and down the shoulder on both sides and nothing. I then started to hit the Ding button more. 

I heard some sonar sounds, I could tell they were coming from median. The sound was coming from the East. I walked about 100 yards past the seam in the road and there, laying on the side of the road was the iPhone, dinging away merrily.    

The phone still works, the first thing that happened when I turned off the dinging was a Facebook message from my friend Nick came through. 

My friend Toby called, I sent her a message on the iPad, to call my phone. I figured the song would be louder than the dinging. The phone worked, I could hear her and she could hear me. 

I recommend the Lifeproof case, but not the handlebar mount. 

No comments:

Post a Comment