My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 10 November 2012

Long Weekend

Remembrance Day is on Sunday, which means we get Monday off. Nice.

Canadian Finals Rodeo is in Edmonton this weekend. I planned on going to it. We had a massive snow storm on Wednesday. The highways and streets in Vegreville and Edmonton are still covered in snow and are icy.

I have cabin fever already, so I decided to come to Edmonton on Friday. The highway was icy and slippery in the right lane and not too bad in the left lane. So a lot of people were driving in the left lane. One idiot was in the left lane, going about 60 in a 110. Granted people were driving slower, but not that slow. To put icing on the cake, the driver had a silver car, it was dusk and the car was the same colour as the road and the ice. You'd think in blowing snow, a person driving a car like that would have their lights on.

At Elk Island Park the traffic started for Edmonton. It was bumper to bumper lal the way to the city (about 50 kms). When I got to the city I figured I better take a flat route to my destination. But it was rush hour. The Yellowhead into Edmonton is bad in good weather. I was not taking it. I went South and too the exit that led to Whyte Avenue. the highway South was slow moving. Some great songs came on the ipod. Captain Tractor, Stevie Wonder, Jan Arden and some Chicago Blues. I had the window open and was singing along. I did have to go through the River Valley to get to the North side. I decided to go by the Legislature as it is the flattest hill to the north side, all hills are flat right, this had the least incline.

When I got to 105 St hill, all the little cars were turning to go up it. It is quite a bit steeper. I decided to try it. It was 4 lanes of emptiness except for three cars, including me. I got traction and was up the hill. Normally when you come straight to the hill you see people putting their brake on before climbing the hill. This causes great comedy as they lose their traction about 1/4 of the way up. Then they fish tail and slide back down the hill. or as far as the car behind them. So normally it is a good road to avoid.

I got to my destination safe and sound. Thelma (Robert) was there. We had some beer and spoke about things. We hadn't seen each other since August, I think. We got caught up. Anita is still staying with him, she is 90 and getting her a long term care facility is more urgent. I gave him some suggestions of other towns other than the one he was waiting for a spot in. Long term care facilities are a booming business in some towns, Vegreville is one of them.

We split up, I went to the Druid for Guinness and supper. I was there for several hours. The guy on the next stool was a Manager in an oil field company. Normally you'd think wells or service rigs. But he didn't do that, he built pipelines. Guess which ones he is involved with. Both of them (Northern Gateway to pacific and the one to Texas). I was a good boy. I have some friends that would not be so good. I said I was not in favour of the Texas one. It got louder in the bar and it was hard to discuss this. That is a good thing as he told me he has been bounced from this bar, when he gets passionate about something.

One time when he was off smoking a colured guy came up and asked me what I thought of Barack Obama winning. I was wearing a western shirt, wranglers and the bar had given out cowboy hats. I was profiled by the asker. He thought I'd be all redneck about it. Shocked when I wasn't, I told him to wait for the other guy to come back.

Today I took some pictures in a park in the city.

At work I have been writing a report for the last three days. Normally it doesn't take that long, but I kept getting interrupted. It is a monthly report, I take turns writing it with my co-worker. This month I completely changed the style. in keeping with changes in the department. I passed it to my boss, she didn't ask me to change anything. She is off till Wednesday so it must be ok.

Bad news yesterday. The Ottawa posting was cancelled. I was of two minds on it, but it would be nice if it was my choice. It took me 4 hours to write that cover letter!!! grrr Still in the running for Vancouver.

Barack Obama won! I followed Nate Silver for the last couple of weeks. The better the odds he gave the President, the more that the Right Wing hated him.

What else, well WWoZ is pissing me off. I support them at $20 a month. They have membership drives two times a year and they send special CD's to the supporters. They haven't sent one to me. Two weeks ago I sent an email to them, no response. Second email a week ago, no response. Third email yesterday......I told them if they weren't going to reply, that they may as well stop deducting. Will wait to see if the donation comes off my credit card.

My boss sent out a request for emergency contact information. I replied with my address and cell phone number. I said there was no person to contact. She came up and said who would she call if something happened to me at work...911 wasn't a good enough?

I thought of this on the way to the city (it was a long drive). Really there is no one. If I were to die on a Friday after work, someone may notice on the Wednesday of the next week. Only because I had no called in and I would need a doctor's note for leave. At first it makes you feel really alone.

When I mentioned this to Thelma, he said what does it matter. You're dead.

Normally I participate in the Remembrance Day ceremonies as a member of the Fire Department. But since I won't be in town, I am not this year. There weren't that many of us that did participate.

I just heard a woman say that Los Angeles is a safer city than Edmonton. Starbuckslogic - later

No comments:

Post a Comment