My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Friday 23 November 2012

Black Friday

I had never heard of Black Friday until last year. It was a US thing. I don't even think I saw it on TV as the shows were all repeats or Thanksgiving/Xmas themed, so I wasn't watching it.

This year, Canadian retailers decided to jump on the band wagon and a lot of my friends were speaking about it. My boss at work asked if she should get an iPad2 or a Mini the iPad2 was on sale. Anyway, I decided to take the day off. I saw an add for a new Nikon camera, a DSLR. It could synch with mobile phones, hell it looked sweet. I priced it out, it was around $600, too much for what I wanted to spend.

I broke the sunglasses that I had fixed a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to check out some Oakleys on the internet. Sunglass Hut had a sale on, it was super on Thursday and I was all set to buy some glasses at the marked down price, but I thought I better try them on. When I checked the site this morning, the sale i had picked stuff out on was over. They had a different sale. I priced out two pair of Oakleys at $172 including tax, regularly $325. I decided to come into Edmonton to see them. On the way out of town, I stopped at WalMart, they had a sale on SDHC cards, regularly $22.95 for $8. I bought three (sorry people at work!) The sales person told me about the cameras. They had the Nikon D3000 which is a few years older than the one I wanted. It was $350 with a case. I bought it.

I came into the city and the Sunglass Hut had the glasses, they were even cheaper. I bought them. It is a good thing I worked a lot of overtime lately! I did strategic shopping at all the stores. I even ventured into Apple and bought a card reader, there was a lineup out the door and down the mall for $51 off an iPad. I got the card and then paid for it with my iPhone!

I went to another store to check out a telephoto lens for camera. But I don't need to get it yet. Now I know I am going to the mountains for Xmas, take some pics.

I went to a store that has Blu-Rays, I got Contact for $5 - a great movie.

I am at Starbucks, no more shopping!

Well I didn't get the Vancouver job, they said I didn't have enough experience. I must have not stressed how much on my application. A good thing actually, I was depressed for about 12 hours, but then it went away. I could not afford to rent a house in Vegreville and a place in Vancouver for a 6 month job. There was another job posted for Ottawa, it was only open for one day. I applied for that.

The guy I met online is still chatting, still no plans to meet up before New Years though. I have said that will not be the first time we meet face to face. I don't need the new year starting with rejection.

I have charged the battery for the Nikon, it took about an hour. I had to take iPad case off to use card reader. No will not go buy another case!!! The case needs to be cleaned.

I can't stay in the city tonight, a Fire Department event tomorrow for the Food Bank, have to work it. Probably come back to city for Blues in the afternoon.

The moustache for Movember is coming in - but I hate it. It makes me look older. My hair was long, which made me look even older. I got a haircut today and asked the hair person about the moustache, she said just left it grow. I may have to put wax on it. Some women have told me they like it.......No not shopping there.

I read a really good romance book this week, it was amazingly good. Some people reviewing it said there was too much sex......er Guy here. Anyway, the book dealt with coming out. Sorry people, sex is part of the process. After being out, it doesn't define you, it is just part of you. You just have to accept yourself first. This book dealt with that, plating an older closeted gay man against a guy who just discovered he may be gay. The book dealt with all the conflicts pretty accurately. I have heard more than once that some guys won't date me as they feel I am a tourist, having been married and having a son, they think I will bolt back to a woman. I don't need them in my life. Of course, Gay men being gay men, I have seen them pointing at me and relaying this. So some guy that knows nothing about me, is an expert on me. I have had the conversation with these guys after they find someone else and then say they always had a crush on me.

Anyway, I have decided that I don' need those people around anymore. Maybe stand up to them when they start the 'expert opinion'. I know it sounds like a 'you lookin at me' straight guy thing, but a guy has to stand up for himself.

For the last 6 months I have been doing pushups every morning. I have missed about 3 days. I started off at 40, then 50 after a month, then 60 after two months. I find 70 is good. I bounced this off some guys at the FD, the ones around my age. They said they'd be lucky to get to 50.
Time to start the running again. I am feeling a bit chunky, I have only gained about 10 lbs, but they need to go.

They are playing Xmas music in November here, I gotta go









No comments:

Post a Comment