My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 23 June 2012

On Call Weekend

Oncall weekends drag. Normally there are no calls, or if there is one it is a false alarm at 2:30 am. I have to be available 24 hours and respond in 15 minutes. I am a pump operator on this weekend, so which means I get to drive the truck, lights and sirens to the fire. Yes it is exciting, enough said.

I am not in a coffee shop writing this time, I am in the backyard. I have a fire going and I am drinking lite beer. I have some burgers on the BBQ and I am listening to WWOZ.org - It is Funky Soul Sister night. It started off with a half hour of James Brown. Git down,,,,git backup again! By far the best station in the World.

Today the Fire Department had a boot drive. We were located between Tim Hortons and Wal-Mart collecting money, for Muscular Dystrophy. We made about $4000 in 3 hours. I did well with the ladies, I think I raised a $1000 myself, i sure how they weren't expecting a number. I'd use Dennis Leary's line...got a pen? '9 , 1, 1, ' just ask for Fire.'

After that event, I came home, there was a street market half a block from me. I walked over. I changed out of uniform first! I cruised around and met people.

Brian, he has been helping with bike issues. He was helping on my old bike. He found a mechanic in Camrose who may know how to fix motor. Yes, bike haters, I would have two reasons not to drive car. The other bike is way louder.
The guy may buy it as is, that would pay for a trip to Chicago and Minnie and Richland Centre, WI.

The second person to show up was Chad, a firefighter that got injured. He now is single, he has a lot of time on his hands and the nicest eyes ever. His wife is in the process of leaving him. They have 2 kids. He suspects, but changes the subject every time it gets close to being revealed. I am sure he is too redneck to be gay.

After Chad wondered off, I went to see a display on the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Apparently the local theatre company is doing it in October, they are looking for an Eddie (he was the guy on the bike). I said I can't sing, they said lip synch. Looks like I am recruited. I am not sure of the fishnets though.

In Ottawa, many moons ago, when the World did not know of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, we used to line up outside the Towne Cinema 'for a late night double feature, picture show, by RKO'. I think I saw it 17 times. You'd think after that I would have known I was gay. I mean Rocky runs around in underwear for the whole movie. I hope they have a good Rocky here. Riff Raff is a cute reporter for the local paper. But I am sure there is only one gay guy in town, besides me. And he hides when he sees me. He doesn't have to worry, like 90% of the straight guys who are afraid of gay men, He is not my type.



It looks like it is going to rain, which would be nice, it provides for a full night's sleep for firefighters :).

When I was lighting the fire I used all my knowledge to get it going and some paper that has been building up. No Gas!

I put the paper under the kindling, to allow for pyrolisis to set in (heat the wood up till gas starts coming off it) It is the gas that burns, right. It was a bit windy, but the paper started the wood, which started the bigger wood and now it smells really nice.

"Each and every thought you have changes the wiring of your brain' Bashar - that is profound. Take the lessons learned in Illusions (Richard Bach) and think deeply on that statement. People that trap themselves in a situation, due to heritage. I am thinking the Southern US or poor people in the third world. They have been taught that 'that' what ever 'that' is, is the way things always have been and how they always will be. So they let users, republicans or 1%ers do their thinking for them. People that travel, learn it is not so. Soldiers learn it is not so, which makes it hard for them to fit in, when they return from war. Despite what unit training does.



No comments:

Post a Comment