My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 1 December 2012

The 1st of December

Ah December, not a good month to go to a mall. They are packed with people buying the perfect gift. I did all my shopping in November lol

The Nikon Story, on Black Friday I bought the Nikon D3000. Saturday morning, I was laying in bed and I was wondering how it did sound on video. My little Nikon has a very obvious microphone/speaker. On the bigger one I didn't see one. I took to the net and found out it doesn't take video at all. Now if I am going to buy one of these cameras, I want it to take video. At the Canadian Finals Rodeo, the little Nikon took both pictures and video. I didn't want to carry it everywhere, just to do video. Besides there is no zoom on the little camera, it stays at whatever setting you start filming at. In order to film closer, you have to stop, re-focus and start again.

I compared the D3000 to the D3100, which was $100 more. It took video and was pretty good camera. For $200 more I could get the D3200 which is the best of this line of cameras. The D3100 wasn't on sale though and there were no special offers. The D3200 had special pricing on the camera and two lenses. It also came with the wireless unit. You could take pictures with an app on your phone. This of course was something i'd like.

I checked my bonds, and I could afford the D3200 and all the lenses. I had to take the D3000 back, I packed it all up and Walmart took it back. The bank though put a hold on the refund, they would not waive it. I had enough to buy the D3200 but not the telephoto lens. Oh well, that's what I had with the D3000. So I bought it.

When the bonds finally showed up in the bank account, five day delay on them and the refund, I had enough to buy the lens. I called the camera store, they would sell me everything at the discount. They would return then resell the body and then add in the lens.

I went to the Druid to assemble everything, it wasn't going to be easy to do in the car. I had charged into the city after work, so it was only around 5. The bar would not be packed, I could eat and have a $3 Guinness and assemble camera.

Well the bar was busy and everyone was watching what I was doing. I met Dave and Garrett, they work for a scaffolding company, they go there for beers after work a lot. We chatted, when I had the telephoto working I focused on bottles behind the bar. It was like they were right in your face and your could read the whole label, including the tiny print.

We spent a couple of hours together talking about all kinds of things. They were going to another bar to eat, I found out I had to go to London Drugs to get a UV filter for the telephoto, it wasn't the same size as the 18-55 mm lens. When I was there, the guys were true camera geeks. I asked if they knew when the iPhone app for the D3200 was out. The wireless worked on Android phones, but a could not find an app on the iPhone. They were on this, the reason I couldn't find it is Nikon was tricky or not thinking. They called the app WU-1A, this does not follow any naming convention I know. But I search, under the iPhone, not iPad and found it. You can't find it by it's full name.

Anyway, I have the whole camera and I am happy. Xmas is going to involve a trip to the mountains for picture taking.

Oh, I met up with the guys at the other bar. They bought me a beer and we talked about stuff. I had an appetizer and then had to go home. They said they occupy the same barstools and told me to come back and hang out with them.

The long distance guy, had still been texting me. It has been 2 weeks. No indication when we were going to meet up and things took a turn for the worse. His boss started changing his shifts around and blah blah blah .....this appeared to be drama. I used to get sucked into this stuff, but call me jaded. The script is always the same. I basically put it out there, New Year's Eve is not going to be the first date. That is too heavy. Anyway, things apparently got better on Thursday (the same day I bought lens). But that was the last day I heard from him. They must have gotten way better. I texted him last night, no response. As I said, I have read this book before. December is a new month, he may have someone else to cavort with.

At work this week we had visitors. People from Headquarters who are trying to set up what we have in our section. It was presentation after presentation. I asked the boss why they didn't send us there to set it up, as they will be doing it from the middle. I think they are sending someone, my boss wants to go. Which is good, sort of. She doesn't do the work and didn't assist in setting it up. Oh well, Ottawa sucks at this time of year. I got to meet some of the people I have corresponded with over 4 years.

One of the people from Vancouver, in the section that said I didn't have enough knowledge, emailed me and asked me what to do with something. I was tempted....... but I answered the person. Next time I will tell them to contact the screener.

The moustache is gone! I shaved it off this morning. It was tender after it was gone. I am happy not to be straining anything anymore.

I was at gym running for the first time in a long time. I heard a song by Alan Jackson on my iPod. It was a ballad, he was singing about when we all thought 30 was old. Now it is in the rear view mirror. It was a good song. It got me to thinking about all the things you don't do when you are alone, slow dancing, watching shows on the couch with someone. Joking about what is on the TV. Watching sports together and laying down bets. Lots of things. I don't live in that house all the time. But this is the time of year when people who have other people in their lives start to go on and on about it. I guess if you don't tell them....but you know where that goes. It is best to avoid those people.

One advantage of Xmas shopping is all the theatres will calm down, I can go see the Bond movie and get home at a decent time.

The crooked restaurant picture was taken remotely you should have heard the camera go, focusing etc.

I went to Elk Island Park to take pictures of buffalo, but they were all in hiding again.









No comments:

Post a Comment