My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 29 December 2012

Saturday and then NYE

Today, besides going to The Druid to write the other blog, I went biking. It was frigid for the last two weeks, today it got to a balmy -4. To you in the Sun belt that is cold, to us that means get the hell out of the house and do something

I put bike on back of the car, after cooking a good breakfast and doing laundry. I got to the city, I was going to get an oil change, the wait was too long. I went to River Road, parked the car and got on the trails. They plough the river valley trails, so it is not too bad. It wasn't warm enough to turn the snow to slush on the trails, which is a good thing. (There is a really fast blues song playing, I am speed writing!)

I was slow to start, my legs were bitching. But I ignored them. Finally after about two miles, they shut up. The trails are multi use, but some people think that means they can use the whole trail, multiply. As in the whole family walking side by each blocking it off. I guess they have to be more descriptive in the definition.

I am finishing this on New Year's Eve. Life happens.

Saturday, Thelma showed up at the bar I was writing at. I haven't seen him since November. He has been trapped at home with Anita. Anita is a 90 year old woman who he knew in Toronto. She was living alone in an apartment, she has dementia and Alzheimer's - Thelma went out to get her in February......damn he didn't stop and pick me up! He wants to get her in a home, but there is a waiting list. There is also another issue with one year in the province. The year is just about up.

Anyway, bar, sitting, typing.....Thelma comes and sits with me. I was typing but soon it became apparent he needed coherent conversation. :). I packed up ipad and keyboard.

We talked about all kinds of things and then Steve showed up. In order to prevent a re-occurrence of 2 weeks ago (the check stop blog). I was slow in drinking.....too slow for Thelma apparently.

Steven was sitting at the table next to us....alone. He looked like a firefighter I work with and he talked like him too. He was there about half an hour, sipping on a beer when finally I asked him if he talked. He said yes and smiled.

We talked and talked and talked; the three of us. I am absolutely horrible at picking people up in bars. But apparently he must have liked me. I had more beers and a place nearby to stay the night. Oh and he did too - funny, it was the same place. There can be nothing permanent though, he lives 1.5 hours West of Edmonton and I am 1 hour East. It sure was fun though!

I got home at 07:00 on Sunday. I slept most of the day, as I didn't sleep to much the night before.

Today, I am in the city. Going to a New Year's Eve party at a hotel, staying at the hotel. No way am I bumping into an officer of the law tonight! Unless my music is too loud.

Thelma will be staying in the same hotel as will a pile of other people. I have my own room. So I can get some sleep.

I started doing pushups in April. Decided to keep in shape. Every morning before doing anything else I would do 50. It went to 60 in September and 70 in November. I missed 2 days. I don't think it is that incredible, but there are guys on the FD who can't make 40. So I guess it is something I can do.

Anyway, last blog this year. Thanks for reading and have a great New Years Eve, even if you do nothing.








No comments:

Post a Comment