My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 28 April 2012

BikeDay

Well after a week of rain it did not look good for a ride today. But, it happened. I woke up early, excited. Made breakfast and got all ready, it was still cool. I had to wear chaps and a hoodie under coat.

I went to start the bike and it clicked, nothing. My heart just about stopped.
I tried putting in gear and running down the street, nothing. It had been raining and there was snow yesterday, I thought battery was dead.

I wheeled bike around to garage to plug it into the charger. I hooked it all up and then I remembered the issue from last year. There is a bug in my bike's starter relay. I unplugged it, used my trusty paper clip, hidden discretely under seat grip. I plugged in the paper clip, hit the starter. Vroom

I could still make the ride. I would just have to move the Earth faster to get to the Park.

Set off. I was riding down the highway, no wind. It was a bit cool, but not bad.

Geese were out, flocking this way and that. It is great to race with them. I was going a bit faster than they were. No shit - I am sure they tried.

Made good time to the Park (Sherwood Park). But on the high way a convoy of flatlanders (aka Saskatchewan people) They were going pretty slow. Afraid of the city I think.

Got to Flying J to meetup, bikes were still there. I looked at time, I was early. Man, the Earth moved under my feet!.

I got out of helmet, I was checking out this girl and guy. Why? I recognized them, but I wasn't sure. she turned around and had a long braid of hair, then I knew.

Pam, how the hell are you? Her husband Pat was there too. I knew them from about 7 years ago. We hung out for the whole ride, a great reunion.

The ride leader was a different guy than last week, he told us the route and then we took off. Unfortunately he missed some zigs and zags and lost half the pack. Fortunately the guy at the back knew where we were going to come out.

We too the Anthony Henday along the South of the city. 20 bikers going under the speed limit. I bet Constable Powers was impressed. We headed West of the city by more zigzags. Funny, I have been out there lots of times and never knew that half the roads were there.

We got up to our destination, Onaway. It is a stop on the Alaska Highway, I was going to take a picture of the sign, but no stop.

Went to Davlyn's in Onaway and ate. It is owned by a pile of Aussies, in the middle of nowhere. Lost on a walk-about i guess. Hope they are legal.Who cares, they can cook.

We got back to the city, via Old Fort Road - it is still there, the Henday didn't kill it, as was threatened. It is a nice winding road, with ridiculously low speed limits.

Went to Earl's for a beer after the ride. I got no beer, after ordering the cute waiter appeared to forget about it completely. Maybe it was my eyes.

I had never seen most of these riders before, I asked if they were part of the TimHorton's crowd on Whyte, they said no. Those are posers.

Some of us were talking about veterans when we were stopped in Onaway. One guy, Paul is still with the Army. He served two tours in Afghanistan.We were talking about Bill Maher's show on Friday night. He had a guest on that was speaking about the US veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. There is no real support system for them when they come home. They mentioned wait times, 80 days in Spokane Washington for treatment, not the medical kind, the PTSD kind. Considering the suicide rate, you'd think they would be more on top of that.

The Army guy had to take meflaquine in Kandahar, he said i didn't effect him. He told me about the 45C degrees. I would have gone loco, i hate heat and the drug.

Nick, the guy from a couple of weeks ago has kept in touch. He is doing some art for a show in June. I think he has ventured further on his bike. Which is good. But he refuses to cross the River, he needs to follow a bike. He can only go 50 though....

WWOZ sent me a cool flag. It is hanging in front door window. I have attached a crazy map of Canada, which is more true than a joke. Some bike pics too.

The landlord is putting a garage door opener in.....sweet!!!! faster responses to fire calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment