My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Monday 30 April 2012

Flatlander 150

Yesterday I went for another ride with the gang I met last week. There were only three of us this time though. We left Flying J and decided to go to a town SouthWest of Edmonton. I wanted to ride the Anthony Henday,  a bypass route that is supposed to go around Edmonton. They have been building it for years, it is 3/4 finished (Edmonton is a large city, area wise). The road was nice, as all new roads are. No police - which I found weird as the sportbikers love that road and have been known to go over the 100 KPH speed limit (60MPH). Some by another 100KPH.

There are LA like interchanges though, those are the most fun. After we finished with Henday it was pretty so so. There were rain clouds in the area, but we managed to miss most of them, except one. It hit us by an Indian Reserve.

At Devon, the town we were headed to we decided to go further, to Sunnybrook. I had never been there before. It is not a town, it is a biker bar in the middle of nowhere. There were some beautiful winding roads to get there. The bar was nice. Steppenwolf and the Doors playing. We stayed there for two beers and then decided to take a circular route back. After filling up with fuel, we headed out on 770 to Genessee, a power plant. The roads near there are great. As I left the gas station Echoes, a song by Pink Floyd started playing. It played all the way to the other side of the power plant and then a Roxy Music song came on. Sometimes the iPod plays the right music.

We cam back into Edmonton and split up. I was supposed to meet my son, he was still working. I was sitting in the parking lot of the place where he works and I looked up, there were black clouds moving in from the South, North and West - I live East. I texted my son and said I wasn't waiting around.

I headed East out of down town through refinery row. At a stop light a guy in a Mustang, with some kind of turbo and a lot of noise decided he wanted to race my bike. Bike is a 1400cc and weighs under 500 lbs. I looked at him and said Really?

So sure enough, he floors it, burns rubber and goes, I didn't have my best start, but hey. He was still in my rear view mirror when I shifted to third. Next light, he does the same thing, but a Ducati sportbike  pulled up next to me. He was third, the Ducati was second. I think he got the message.
You know how when you were younger people would race for pink slips. I was thinking, and I had an hour to think on the way home. Maybe we could race for something....something that may deal with his insecurity as a male.

The Mustang was a beacon of things to come. If the RCMP do in fact have a quota system they were asleep at the Tim Horton's around 6 PM. Why? I had guys in Monster Trucks (these are GM/Dodge/Ford/Toyota pickup trucks, usually 4X4 with multiple turbos).

For the most part they had Saskatchewan plates, thus the name of the blog. They were going around 150 (in a 110). I was still racing with the rain. it was coming on strong. I was not going 150. But these guys would crowd me if I went to pass someone - it is their road.

About 75k into my 100k ride home I was riding along and I noticed the bike pulling to the right, it was nothing mechanical. I didn't feel the cross wind (from the North) but it was there. Then it started to rain. Then I noticed myself more sliding to the right, than veering. The rain was cold. I slowed right down. I was figuring one gust of wind and I was going to be part of a fence post. That was a moment of clarity, I thought for sure I was a goner.

Last Friday I had to speak to the client. He had 4 children, all with his surname and he said he was never married or in a common law relationship. Three of the children had the same 'baby momma' and the 4th was from a different 'baby momma'. I asked him what kind of a relationship is a 'baby momma'? He couldn't explain it. It just is. Now I get baby momma for one kid, or maybe two - although that's even a stretch, but 3 with the same woman and they all have his surname, yet he was not in a relationship with her. The woman's name was not even close to his. I asked him to fax in his explanation, as apparently his lawyer told him to write it out and the guy never did. It's seems like an oral argument - one that he can't be held to in a court. Oh well.

Today some BIG cases. Can't discuss but one from a few years ago is going to hit the press this week. You know that the officer did a good job when there was a complaint about my method on a site. Saying I had the nerve to research the guy. Do people honestly think that they gain notoriety in the paper and no one notices - other than perspective 'baby mommas' I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment