My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Thursday 26 April 2012

Sick, malade, no can travail

On the weekend I started to get a cough, it occurred when I was riding around. I thought it was maybe dust in the air. Monday morning about 3 or so, I woke up with a real burning sensation in my throat. Then I started coughing for real.

I took Monday off, too some medicine and thought it would pass. Tuesday, it appeared to have. Went to work, then there was a fire call. No problems.

Wednesday morning the cough came back again, this time it was not going anywhere. My energy went away and I left work around noon. I took today off. I have slept most of it. I went to the store to get some food and now I am beat. Whatever it is has moved from the coughing part to the sinus part. Hopefully I can get to work tomorrow. There is stuff I have to do.

I have been watching Spartacus all week, it is a series which takes place in Capua. A town outside of Rome. The owner of the house trains his slaves to be Gladiators. Spartacus is one of them. This show is very homoerotic. The men are half naked most of the time. There was a gay couple on there, but they have since gone. But there are more, every time they pan over the frequent orgies, you can see men together. The story is good though, lots of drama by the owner and his wife. They remind me of the 1% play games with the lesser peoples lives, or worse John Cleese on the plane in the movie Rat Race - making bets on just about anything.

I sleep then wake and then can't get back to sleep. So I when I wasn't watching Spartacus I was reading on my iPad. Books from Amazon are super easy to get. I read a gay romance novel yesterday and finished it today. I kind of identified with the main character. I guess we normally do identify with a character in fictional book, makes the enjoyment of it more fun.

This guy was a private detective who always seemed to fall for the wrong guy. It starts off with him trying to get away from an ex-lover. They were in a relationship for over a year and then the main character ended it. The other guy didn't want it ended. It was part of the story, how the ex was screwing things up. I don't have one of those, anymore. I have a guy like that in my life about 5 years ago. On the TV show Coupling they called them an unflushable, an ex that doesn't get it when you are breaking up with them.

Anyway he meets a new guy, who is no out. It showed the relationship developing and the ups and downs for the baggage. It was well written a woman wrote it but she actually had some surprising insight into the way men think.

The best part of this week was the election on Monday night. The polls showed that were were supposed to be headed for a majority Wildrose Party Government. They were leading for most of the campaign. Last week they faltered when the Edmonton homophobe Hunsperger said the Edmonton School Board should stop its anti-bullying campaign. He also said something about a lake of fire, which is where are gay people go when they die. Then not to be outdone by an Edmontian a Calgary guy, for the same party piped up that as a Caucasian he was better suited to represent the district. This guy actually apologized.

The leader of the part was challenged on this and she said basically the statements were made a year ago (Husperger), they were actually made in October. So she was telling a little fib. But she said the government would not be legislating contentious social issues, so it was a non-issue. This party ran on a campaign which suggested referendums for everything. How long before Hunsperger would have got enough signatures to take away gay rights in the province?

Anyway, the Conservatives won a majority government on Monday. The pollsters were wrong. One guy kept saying we weren't as wrong as the other guys! But he was wrong. There was a 12% shift in the intentions of voters in the last week. That is unheard of. I was expecting the Wildrose Party to come out and sue, they figured they had a shoe in.

There are now issues on the polling and excuses. They could not explain how polling in Ontario was more accurate and they have the same population make up i.e. a lot of young people with only cell phones. They are hiding the fact that the only people they spoke with are retired people who answered their phone, all the predictions were made on one small group. So when the rest of the population saw what was going to happen, they didn't vote according to script. Now pollsters can join weathermen.

No comments:

Post a Comment