My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Humanists

There is this Facebook group called Global Secular Humanists, I follow it. I'm a human.

This morning I read this quote, albeit, re-written in the poster's own words 'Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the World? Epicurus, as quoted in 2000 years of Disbelief.

I read that and wrote, "I am not stuck in the argument, God gave us free will and the ability to learn. God cannot tell a group not to follow a person as he may be bad. The group would question God, not Adolf Hitler." I received a lot of crap for that, I thought this was a logic discussion group, my bad.

But, upon further research, there was discussion on the above paragraph.
This was not posted. So they in effect, took an outrageous statement and left it out there for guys like me to come and respond to. And the lady that equivocates natural disasters to evil.

So Mr. Hume, who they cited says after the Epicurus post 'God's power we allow is infinite: Whatever he wills is executed: But neither man nor any other animal are happy: Therefore he does not will their happiness. His wisdom is infinite: He is never mistaken in choosing the means to any end: But the course of nature tends not to human or animal felicity: Therefore it is not established for that purpose. Through the whole compass of human knowledge, there are no inferences more certain and infallible than these. In what respect, then, do his benevolence and mercy resemble the benevolence and mercy of men?'

So I guess I have moved up to a higher level. I responded without controversy, unless using Adolf Hitler on a humanist board is bad, but I was looking for an example of evil. We can agree on that, can't we, Haiti lady?

Well I just went back and read all the rest of the posts, there were some good thoughts. Some people have been pondering this since they were 17 - i.e. becoming a monk. I personally don't think that God wanted us to sit in a monastery and ponder all of our lives, but if that's what floats your boat.

Maybe, the monasteries and convents were set up for the people that did not fit in. Were gays and lesbians put in there, as it was obvious that they were not going to reproduce and perhaps, the church thought they'd produce more gays and lesbians if they did.

Not much at work, Day 2 on the fricken deposition!. Arghh

Have been doing pushups everyday for 10 days at home.

The guy in Berlin sort of introduced me to another Canuck. Nice of him. Maybe he will introduce me to him.

Off work tomorrow, going to a seminar on Extreme Weather. This global warming thing, that isn't happening has caused more tornadoes in Alberta. The seminar is for response by first responders.

The Fire Department is pissing me off. I was on a course for hazardous materials. They dumped me, I have 4 courses left to do to be completely trained. This course may not be offered for another 2 years. My intention was to bear down and complete the 4 this year. I guess there will be a lot of trips.....

1 comment:

  1. I feel like when someone has to attach a label to anything, be it a philosophy or what-ever, the label tends to restrict everyone's view of what ever the label is attached to. When you talk about levels of awareness, i feel we can reach a point where we become more open to the underlying isness of a thing and not the label attached to it and less needful of trying to fit things into preconceived ideas of what the label entails.
    Humanist seem very limited in their thinking so now that label crams them into a small box. My first instinctual answer when the suggestion of a wicked God was: "yes, so what? Get over it!" How could we really grow in this life if it wasn't for the pain and suffering that we experience? God loves his people and wants to see them become more than they are and we we don't learn much when everything is rosy all the time.

    ReplyDelete