My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Sunday 15 April 2012


Well Sunday night is here, it was a good weekend. Yesterday I headed into Edmonton again later in the afternoon. I ran five miles at the gym. I am reading The Black Banners, the history of Al Qaida. It is on the Kindle app on my iPhone. Pretty interesting read, a complaint is the redacting. Working in a job where I want stuff redacted, I am not bothered by it.

When I go to the city, I went to Woody’s – I heard nothing from the guy from Friday night. I know, I could have phoned. Later.

After a beer at Woody’s I went to the Junction to eat. The Bear Bash was as the bar next to the restaurant. The restaurant was close, but I could eat at the bar. I was not sure if I wanted to do this as I would be there for most of the night. But I did.

I walked in an sat at the bar, there was no table to sit at. Chris one of my readers came over and said Hi. He asked if he was going to be in the blog now. Chris owns a farm and is planting Canola this year. That led to a brief discussion on Monsanto. I am not a Monsanto fan; they act like a school yard bully.

Watching Scandal as I type this, they are reviewing a madam’s papers. Female Lawyer 1: I don’t understand half of this, what does hardwood floors mean? Male Lawyer: ‘It means no carpeting.’ He blushes and continues ‘as in carpets match drapes’. Female lawyer: ‘What does sunny day mean?’ It means no raincoat.

The food came pretty fast, a bacon mozza burger with home cut fries. It was good.
I like to patronize this place, it is part of the community. After I was finished I played around on the iPad for a while. I tried to write a different short story but I had no inspiration. I packed up the gear and put it in the trunk of the car.

Eventually some more people showed up. Bears, for those of you that are not versed in gay terminology bears are well larger men (not all) they tend to be hairy, not long hair. But a lot of hair. These are the opposites of twinks. Twinks are hairless and tend to be skinny. The bear type guys are gay men that most people would not know that they were gay. Anyway, I am not a bear, but I am definitely not a twink. The bears are closer to whatever category I fall into.

Thelma was coming too, as was supposed to be there at 9. He was late. As the place filled up, I really was not into being there. I think this was left over from what happened Friday night. Anyway, Thelma showed up, we got beers.

We said hi to a couple of people, it really is better being in a bar with a friend. We were standing near the end of one of the bar lines. A guy showed up with a jacket that said Lone Wolf on the back. I asked him if he was a member, he said not, he just wanted to cover up a logo on the back of the jacket. I asked if he rode a bike. He said he had gone for the test and stalled the bike 6 times, he didn’t pass. He then went an bought a moped. He was a good looking guy – I am not sure how old. Anyway, he stayed around and we started talking, a lot. Thelma was talking to him too. His name is Nick and he is a student at Grant McEwan in Graphic Design. He kept looking around every once in a while and I assumed he was waiting for someone.

Eventually Nick too off wondering around and Thelma and I picked a place, we met several friends and talked. Nick came back a couple of times, would say a couple of things and then take off.

The date form Friday night showed up, I told Thelma as I was ducking. I knew he was thinking of going to this event, he said he wouldn’t be due to the abscessed tooth. But here he was. I manned up and said hi to him. He went to the bar and then went and stood with some people we know in common.

When we were fighting the fire on Thursday we got trapped in smoke in the woods. We were down wind and it was really hard to breathe. I know where the term ‘smokeeaters’ came from. I don’t smoke cigarettes and haven’t for 7 years. Where is this going? Friday night and I kissed, more than a couple of times. After a while, my mouth was reminded of the smoke on Thursday.

I didn’t care that he smoked, and last night I saw him walk regularly to go to either the washroom or outside for cigarettes. I don’t think it was all tiny bladder.

Nick started to spend more time talking. He smoked too, so he would come by on the way out and then stop and talk, mainly to me on the way back. Thelma has impeccable timing. We talked about coming out and how that was. He told me all about school, he hated Art History. I hated Art History. Nick said his friend did show up, it was just a friend, not a date. His friends were younger and were hanging out by the dance floor. Nick was not into dancing, he wanted to talk about bikes and leather. He came back to talk to me. I switched to drinking water, Nick didn’t drink and I figured I needed no more. I knew I was driving home later.

Thelma took off and the night wound down. Nick’s friends were headed to Denny’s. I figured I would give him a ride over, he was ok with that. I had one foot on the brake pedal, his friends from school were obviously a lot younger than I am, and Nick. So I figured this was just some guy to hang out with.

In the show Scandal a bunch of law makers are coming to the law firm in connection with a request for an interview. The Male Lawyer is getting them alone and saying ‘Hardwood floors’ ‘Sunny day’ – the camera catches the shocked man’s looks.

We went to Denny’s I was going to sit with them and then I decided I would head back home. I left and was walking back to the car and Nick came out to talk to me.
He told me it was great hanging out and he wanted to do it again. I asked for his phone number he gave it to me, he then had his phone out to get mine.

We talked some more, his friends had not shown up. I asked if he was in to older guys and he said he wasn’t sure. But he did like talking to me.

The friends showed up and they asked me to sit with them. We talked about various things. Ironic it is some of the stuff I have been thinking about. I told them about Neil Degrass Tyson, the Astrophysicist and his theories on the universe. They loved the line, A star died for you.

Eventually it was time to go home. I was headed home, Nick was off with his school friend to watch The Fifth Element (it was related to the Dr. Tyson conversation). Nick hugged me before they took off.

I made it home; I was beat, really beat. I went to sleep at 04:30 and slept for a long time.

The rain that had been falling all day had turned to snow, the drive home was kind of dicey all the way to the end of the Park. The highway was clear from there to Vegreville. The snow picked up again in Vegreville. I just about nodded off a couple of times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment