My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Sunday 11 March 2012

GetThePopCorn

So fire course, Day 3. The car was still being fixed. I put all my stuff into a back pack and headed to Fire Hall on my bike. 

The day was made up of review, of everything. In the afternoon we were going to do the practical exam. After a morning of tying knots and racing to get dressed as fast as possible, it cam time for lunch.

When I was finally ordering, I was getting really hungry as my body realized it was going to get some food. I ordered my stuff and was just about to pay. I did a check on the bike, I saw two guys in their 20's and a girl heading for the door to come into the restaurant. The guy at the back veered off towards my bike. I thought he was just going to have a look at it. The next thing I saw, just as I was about to pay with the debit card, was my bike heading down the sidewalk.

I bolted out the door and stood in front of the guy who was just starting to get on my bike (One foot On the left pedal, right leg was going over seat). He looked at me and stopped. "What are you doing?" I asked, he said he was riding his bike he just bought from his buddy. I said, "That's my bike." My reality is shifting, I became the Type A guy on the Fire Department that you don't want to screw with.

We said I have to get his money back from his buddy, as he was out it now. I said, he could go do that and to get off my bike. The buddy came out and tried to say that this guy was just goofing. I said he could goof with his stuff. The thief tried to explain he way out. The buddy offered to buy my lunch.  I said no, I think I need to move the bike.

By this time, buddy, the thief, a woman that was in front of me (in the line, she actually left her food), a baby, two sets of grandparents were all staring at me as if I was the bad guy. It appears they were all related to each other.

I got on bike, rode back to Fire Hall and walked over to a different restaurant. I guess I screwed up the extended family's trip to A&W as they all hoped in their mini-vans and took off. No  burger family for them.

I am a non-violent person, but I was about to tackle thief. I guess I was pretty intense looking as he kept backing away. The thing that got me about it was his speed, he didn't look at bike, he just walked over to it and proceeded to take it.

Back to my rant about yesterday, today it was completely different. The packs all went back into the right trucks. She was really polite. I figured my glare in response to her 'Whatever' corrected her attitude.

The practical exam had no knots - BONUS all I had to worry about was speed of putting on equipment and doing the blind search for a body. The instructor said my partner and I were the best he'd seen doing that - he was impressed so was evaluator. We also had to do a confined space drill, which involved taking SCBA off, crawling under a fire truck and then putting it back on without standing up. We aced it.

Thanks for reading. What a great day this was. My bike is back in garage, locked up; the bigger bike should start tomorrow. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment