My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 24 March 2012

Saturday -

This is probably part one of a blog but who knows, I may get busy.

The other night got interesting, the night the fluffy flakes were falling. The first call came at 17:00 - a truck hit a power pole. We had to got out. The wind starting blowing and there was snow everywhere. Basically did traffic there, the utility company had to disable some downed power lines.

About 2 hours after that call, we got a call about a semi blocking the highway. This was going to be a long call, seven hours in total. While we were at that call another call came in - we had a crew go and handle it - all Motor Vehicle Collisions (MVC). Accident is a term which is passe. We do traffic and babysit MVC's, the RCMP aren't saddled with this. Which is not the case in other places. I am a member of a site where the cops and EMT's regularly blast fire fighters as having nothing to do. I used to try and explain things, but EMTs will never think that fire fighters do anything, and they appear to be able to say anything they want. Firefighters have given up. Oh, the firefighters did get the driver out of the truck and deliver him to the EMTs at our scene.

Friday, well I went to work late, as I needed to sleep after getting home at 4 am. Did nothing Friday night. president Obama waded into the Trayvon Martin case. He said basically Trayvon could be his son. I can see some resemblance, maybe no the best phrasing. The Republicans were right on this though, they attacked Obama.

The Republicans are quickly running out of people that may vote for them. They have pissed off women, none-christians, gays, educated people and now they are going after blacks. I guess they figure, the 1%, Alabama and Mississippi with get them a president.

Stayed in last night, my friend Robert is in the city today, so we are going to hang out later.

The army was doing exercises in town, they were all parked behind my place. One patrol went right by the front window. That was fun, but I wasn't going to watch them all day.

The sun came out, decided to head into the city with mountain bike to go for a ride. So here I am on the highway, Dance to the Music by Sly & the Family Stone was playing. I go past Mundare corner and there is a guy hitching, with a bike. I drove past, and then went back and got him. I have a bike rack, not too many people do in March.

When I pulled up, I assessed the situation. He was basically in the middle of nowhere, with a bike. He said he was riding from Vermillion, which is about 80 kms East of where he was, to Edmonton another 80 kms West. I chcked him out, he did have bike clothes on. He was kind of unkempt though. I decided I'd be safe. His story was all convoluted, we talked on the way into town. He fixes bikes, the one he had was light and in good shape, I figured it was worth close to $1000. Drove him into the city and dropped him off at the Starbucks I normally go to - which is where I am writing this story.

Coffee is almost finished, the sun is still out. Now is the time to go get dirty :)



No comments:

Post a Comment