My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Saturday 12 May 2012

Provost again

Fire course, weekend 2. Today we will be using foam on fires. This is complicated, first you have to add the right amount of foam, water and air and then agitate it enough to effectively put out a fire.



I forgot my helmet. I was riding along behind Marshall on Highway 16, he had spare helmet on his sissy bar. I was looking at it and thought I should have brought my non-visored helmet. The I was doing the mental checklist in my head and ....... I remembered I forgot to pack my fire helmet when I was packing the bag. I used the bag this time, I bowed to peer pressure. Problem with bags fille with bunker gear, you can't see what's in them.

We are training at a fire department, I pray they have a spare, or it will be a fast ride back to Vegreville.

The ride was better than the last time, it was warmer and there was a lot less rain. We came down the zig zaggy way we went home last week. It was kind of tricky with no maps as it involved 3 road changes, the second one wasn't marked coming from the West.

The was a flock of Canada Geese flying just ahead of us, we couldn't hear them, they were way up. I am sure if they pooped it would feel like rocks coming down.

On Twitter I have had a friend for a couple of years, he lives in Illinois and works at a tourist Centre in Iowa; the has a cat Mr. Z. When I took the road trip to New Orleans last year, I passed by close to where he and some of his friends live. By the time I was out of Chicago I can say I was a little disillusioned on meeting on-line people. Something urgent always came up.

Anyway on the way back, I was thinking of heading that way, but due to events in Nashville which scared the shit out of me, I went straight to Chicago, I needed familiarity.

Anyway, Lord Byron is an older gentleman, retired. He was supposed to go on the Road to the Sun last year with his sister, but she got sick so the trip was cancelled. She later died. Part of my trip to Road to the Sun was inspired by Lord Byron.

Lord Byron always has a funny quip in the morning and sends it via Twitter to several friends. I remember getting them repeatedly over a couple of years.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw that he was saying he was sick. First he was coughing at home and the greetings slowed down. I asked if he was ok, he said he had a flu. Then he was waiting for a friend to show up, to look after Mr. Z, Lord Byron had to go for tests. He went in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. The posts from him on Twitter really dried up. Anyway he is very sick now, I hope things go ok. The advantage of Twitter and other online systems is that they allow people to have some companionship. Thanks Lord Byron for following the blogs and the tweets. I hope you defy the odds and stay around for along time. Hugs.

The picture is of the bikers at the Honey Pot, since I took the pic, my bike is in it, but I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment