My Ride

My Ride
Glacier National Park

Sunday 6 May 2012

Sunday Morning

Well the course is not what I thought it would be at all. I thought we were going to be in the white decontamination suits and doing stuff. Not even close.

We are going to be in full bunker gear and SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) and getting close to a fire to turn off the fuel source. The fire would be on say a propane tank, as a group we'd get close enough to protect the officer or centre guy as they go forward and turn the valve off. In the picture we are standing in the set up area. We get within about a foot of that flame, two of us. 6 others are pretty close too.

The bunker gear is good for about up to 500 degrees fahrenheit. We should be good. This doesn't scare me at all.

It's going to be loud. We toured the facilities for the other course I have to take, confined space on fire. That looks scary.

In the class we did it in record time, the instructor just said we had more time to play. We are doing just water today and maybe some Class B foam next week.

Three of us rode to Provost from Vegreville. It is about 230 kms. It was touch and go if there were going to be three on bikes, one of the guys had never ridden in rain before. It was sunny Friday afternoon with some clouds floating around.

We came East on highway 16, I heard highway 41 was a great ride on a bike, we had to get to it. Near Mannville we met a big wet cloud. There was a huge rainbow, I was in the lead. While I was riding I noticed non-rain guy had slowed down. So I slowed down. I saw the rainbow getting bigger and bigger. It occurred to me that we may see the end of it. Dreams of pots of gold danced around in my head.

Alas Finnean's Rainbow and all thosse leprechauns lied. We saw the rainbow's end with it's misty start. No gold or cookies.

We stopped in Wainwright for supper This town's claim to fame is a huge army base. We were in an English Pub, called the Honeypot. I had Shepherd's Pie.

We left around 8:00 to head to Provost. The moon was big. It was to the East of us. The sky was clear. I had the urge to stop and take a picture, but didn't. Saturday night was supposed to be the big moon. So I didn't.

It rained most of the day on Saturday. No Super Moon pictures. this is a small town and the food choices are not great. Went to a small hotel and ate, as it had a restaurant, ours doesn't. This appears to be a guy town, very few women around. The bars are pretty dead. I think there are a lot of (oil well) service crews working out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment